Florida Department of Education: Division of Blind Services
325 W. Gaines Street
Tallahassee Florida 1 32399
(850) 245 0331
The Division of Blind Services is Florida's state agency responsible for ensuring that people of all ages in the state who are blind or visually impaired can live independently and achieve their goals. The Bureau of Braille and Talking Book Library administers a free library program of braille and recorded materials for eligible readers.
Mireya Hernandez, OIB Manager, Mireya.Hernandez@dbs.fldoe.org
Robert Doyle, III, Director, Blind Services, Robert.Doyle@dbs.fldoe.org
William Findley, Bureau Chief, Business Enterprise, firstname.lastname@example.org
Edward Hudson, Bureau Chief, Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired, email@example.com
Jimmy Woolyhand, Bureau Chief, Bureau of Braille and Talking Books Library, James.Woolyhand@dbs.fldoe.org, 386 239 6040
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides instruction braille, handwriting, typing, and listening.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides training in the use of assistive technology.
- Offers parent counseling and referrals to other facilities as needed. Conducts social evaluation; psychological testing and evaluation; individual, group, family/parent, and couple counseling. Contracts, refers, and provides consultation to other agencies for other counseling/social work services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides rehabilitation services in client's home and community. Contracts, refers and provides consultation to other agencies for all rehabilitation services. Provides independent living services for persons age 55 and older.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers pre-vocational evaluation, career and skill counseling, occupational skill development, job retention, job training, vocational placement, vending facility training. Contracts, refers, and provides consultation to other agencies for employment-oriented services.
- Health Services
- Provides adaptive equipment and genetic counseling. Visual and other health services referred to children's medical services or other agencies. Contracts and refers for all health services.
- Information and Referral
- Provides consultation to other agencies for employment oriented services.
- Library Services
- Loans books and magazines in Braille and audio formats and the necessary equipment required for their use free of charge to residents of the State of Florida who are unable to use conventional printed materials due to a visual or physical disability.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Professional Training
- Offers sensory training, internship/fieldwork/placement in orientation and mobility, rehabilitation counseling, social work, rehabilitation teaching. In-service and short-term or summer training open to enrollment from other agencies.
- Services for Seniors
- Offers independent living services for seniors.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.