Hawaii Department of Human Services: Ho'opono Services for the Blind, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
1901 Bachelot Street
Honolulu Hawaii USA 96817
(808) 586 5269
Ho'opono, from "ho'oponopono" meaning to make things right, is a branch of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitaion, Department of Human Services, State of Hawaii. Ho'opono assists blind and Visually impaired persons regardless of financial status, ethnic or national origin, religion, gender or disability. There is no fee for services, although there may be some incidental costs if you need to purchase adaptive aids and devices.
You do not have to be totally blind to use Ho'opono's services. Blindness can vary from total blindness with no light perception to being able to read large print at a comfortable distance. If you are having difficulty doing tasks either at work or home because of poor vision, Ho'opono may be able to help you in a number of ways.
Lea Dias, OIB Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Gavan Abe, Community Services Coordinator, email@example.com
Maureen Bates, Director, o Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides instruction in braille, handwriting, and typing.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides consultation to other agencies for other counseling/social work services.
- Offers social evaluation, arranges psychological testing and evaluation, individual and couple counseling, placement in training, referral to community services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal management, electronic mobility aids, home management, occupational therapy, sensory training, orientation to adaptive equipment. Provides independent living services and special programs for the elderly.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides prevocational evaluation, career and skill counseling, referrals for occupational skill development, job retention, job retraining, sheltered workshops, vocational placement, follow-up service, vending stand training.
- Information and Referral
- Refers for other counseling/social work services, health services, and recreational services.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Professional Training
- Offers internship/fieldwork placement in occupational therapy, mobility skills.
- Recreation Services
- Offers arts and crafts, hobby groups, special programs for elderly, bowling, swimming. Refers for other recreational services.
- Services for Seniors
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.