Lighthouse Vision Loss Education Center
7318 North Tamiami Trail
Sarasota Florida 1 34243
(941) 359 1404
The Lighthouse is the only nationally accredited local not-for-profit agency providing vision rehabilitation in Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte, DeSoto and Highlands counties in the state of Florida. The people who turn to the Lighthouse for help have been diagnosed with Low Vision. Lighthouse programs are open to individuals, from infancy to elderly, experiencing vision loss and are provided at no-cost to the recipient. Instruction is tailored to the needs of each individual to help them meet the goals they have set for themselves. The Lighthouse provides professionally taught training for over 500 clients in Adjustment to Vision Loss, Orientation and Mobility, Assistive Technology, Vocational Rehabilitation, Early Childhood, Children and Young Adults.
Latricia Gambrell, Vocational Rehabilitation Manager and Orientation and Mobility Instructor, latricia.gambrell@LighthouseEducationCenter.org
Lisa Howard, Chief Executive Officer, lisa.howard@LighthouseEducationCenter.org
Elliot Natale, Assistive Technology Specialist, elliott.natale@LighthouseEducationCenter.org
Randy Reed, Assistive Technology Instructor, randy.reed@LighthouseEducationCenter.org
Madeline Spencer, Rehabilitation Manager, maddy.spencer@LighthouseEducationCenter.org
- Conducts pre- and post-rehabilitation assessment with case managers.
- Assistive Products
- Peepers Low Vision Store, which distributes a variety of low vision products such as portable video magnifiers, audio clocks, talking watches, cooking aids, bump dots for iPhones and braille pill boxes.
- Provides audiodescription services upon request.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers training in alternative methods of reading and writing such as large print, writing guides and Braille to aid in identifying written material.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers assistive technology training in iphone, ipad, android, computer, voice over and special computer programs and magnification.
- Provides counseling services by appointment with Tidewell.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides instruction in independent living skills and activities of daily living for seniors.
- Education Services
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides job readiness training to clients with vision loss to enable them to more effectively seek, secure, and maintain employment.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information and referral to community resources.
- Services for Seniors
- Independent Living Adult Program provides training in life skills that promote self sufficiency and independence of people with vision loss..
- Support Groups
- Support Groups offer understanding and encouragement to both the clients and their families as they learn to put their new skills into daily life.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training in the home and in the community based on clients goal.