Northeastern Association of the Blind at Albany
301 Washington Avenue
Albany New York 1 12206
(518) 463 1211
NABA is a comprehensive rehabilitation agency providing a full range of services to people of all ages who are legally blind or experiencing significant vision loss. It assists individuals in seven upstate counties: Albany, Columbia, Greene, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, and Schoharie. In 2002, some of NABA's services were expanded to reach individuals in Eastern Montgomery, Fulton, Warren and Washington counties.
Malissa Zatlokowicz, email@example.com
Chris Burke, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 518 463 1211 ext.225
Cheryl Lawyer, Coordinator, Outreach Services , email@example.com, 518 463 1211 ext.234
Kathryn Miklowitz, KidSight Outreach Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Michele O'Hare, Director, Development & Communications, email@example.com, 518 463 1211
Maureen Strainge, Co-Director of Community Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, 518 463 1211 ext.229
- Comprehensive Vocational Evaluation System (CVES) available. Provides evaluation of independent living skills.
- Assistive Products
- Sells closed-circuit televisions, adaptive devices and appliances.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille instruction.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- Letters, menus, legal documents, birthday and holiday cards, small manuals and booklets.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Does outreach/informational presentations to community groups.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers computer training.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Offers on-site technical assistance on contract basis.
- Provides case management, social evaluation, psychological testing and evaluation, referral to community services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides remedial education, sensory training, and instruction in personal management, handwriting, listening skills, typing, and home management in client's home and community.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers vocational evaluation, career and skill counseling, occupational skill development, job retention, job retraining, vocational placement, follow-up service. Provides facility-based employment.
- In-Home Services
- Provides in-home vision-related rehabilitation services and vision services for seniors.
- Information and Referral
- Provides general information on blindness/visual impairment and refers to community resources.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Low Vision Services
- Prescribes low vision devices and trains in their use, to allow the individual to maximize his or her remaining vision.
- Professional Training
- Offers internship/fieldwork placement and in-service training programs.
- Services for Seniors
- Adaptive Living Program - to help older adults successfully "age in place" as they experience vision loss. Services include low vision exam, vision rehabiliation services, orientation & mobility and counseling
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.