U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Southeastern Blind Rehabilitation Center
VA Medical Center
Birmingham Alabama 1 35233
(205) 558 4706
The mission of the VA Blind Rehabilitation Service is to coordinate a healthcare service delivery system that provides a continuum of care for blinded veterans extending from their home environment to the local VA facility and to the appropriate rehabilitation setting.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers assistive technology training.
- Assists in making an emotional and behavioral adjustment to blindness through individual counseling sessions and group therapy meetings.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Offers a variety of skill courses designed to help blinded veterans achieve a realistic level of independence. These skill areas include orientation and mobility, communication skills, activities of daily living, manual skills, visual skills, computer access training and social/recreational activities.
- Services for Seniors
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.